AutoDrive Software Requirements
This document specifies the engineering requirements for the corporation implementing the AutoDrive system (hereinafter called the engineering contractor) under contract from AutoDrive, Inc. Requirements mentioned in this document will be tested before accepting the system from the engineering contractor.
The intended audience for this document is:
- Engineering Contractor assigned to develop this system. This document is a part of the contract between AutoDrive, Inc. and the engineering contractor.
- System Acceptance Test development team within AutoDrive, Inc.
- Legal teams belonging to AutoDrive, Inc. and the engineering contractor.
The requirements for developing the AutoDrive system are presented here. This section is divided into the following sub-sections:
- Software Development Process Requirements
- AutoDrive General Requirements
- Position Determination Requirements
- Inter Vehicle Signaling Requirements
- Radar Scanning Requirements
- Map Analysis Requirements
- Weather Feed Requirements
- Construction and Road Closure Requirements
Requirements defined in this document shall be interpreted using the following rules:
- Shall: All requirements containing the word "shall" are mandatory. Compliance to these requirements will be tested during system acceptance tests. Failure to meet any requirement in this category would lead to non acceptance of the system.
- Should: All requirements containing the word "should" are considered desired behavior of the system. Designers of the system should use the requirement as a guideline when choosing between different options to implement functionality. Compliance to these requirements will be tested during system acceptance tests. Failure to meet a requirement in this category will not result in non acceptance of the system if the system provides equivalent functionality by an alternative means.
- May: All requirements containing the word "may" are considered optional. These requirements will be tested during system acceptance only if the engineering contractor indicates that the system supports this requirement. Failure to meet a requirement in this category will not result in non acceptance of the system.
Software Development Process Requirements
- Engineering contractor shall submit the design documentation for review by the AutoDrive, Inc. within 6 months of start of development.
- Engineering contractor should use a CMM based development process.
- All documentation, code and quality records shall be delivered to AutoDrive, Inc.
- AutoDrive, Inc. shall own the intellectual property rights (IPR) to all the software developed as per this document.
AutoDrive General Requirements
- Any vehicle produced in the last 10 years shall be upgradeable to the AutoDrive system.
- Installation of the AutoDrive system should not take more than 2 hours.
- A self install kit may be developed for installing AutoDrive in a vehicle.
- AutoDrive hardware shall have a MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) rating of 100 years.
- Impact of a software failure in the system shall be less than 500 ms.
- A complete failure of the AutoDrive system shall result in the vehicle automatically moving out of traveled AutoDrive lanes to the shoulder.
Position Determination Requirements
- AutoDrive system shall use GPS (Global Positioning System) for position determination of the vehicle.
- AutoDrive system should support GPS repeater when a vehicle enters a tunnel or has no access to the GPS satellites.
Inter Vehicle Signaling Requirements
- The AutoDrive system shall broadcast its GPS position of its center, its vehicle type, its speed and its dimensions in terms of length and width at all times.
- The AutoDrive system should continuously change the frequency of the broadcasts. The broadcast should be a function of the GPS position of the vehicle. This will permit vehicles to easily determine the portion of the IVS spectrum that needs to be monitored to catch broadcasts from neighboring vehicles.
- The AutoDrive system shall keep track of broadcasts received from vehicles that are within 100 feet radius.
- The AutoDrive system shall inform all the neighboring vehicles whenever it wishes to change the lane.
- The AutoDrive system shall inform all the neighboring vehicles whenever it wishes to perform braking action.
- The AutoDrive system shall support priority routing of emergency vehicles.
- The Inter Vehicle Signaling shall support construction and road closure indications.
- When a vehicle enters an AutoDrive lane, it shall automatically move to driving via the AutoDrive system.
- When a vehicle exits an AutoDrive lane, the AutoDrive system shall check that driver has taken over the driving operations.
- If a vehicle exiting the AutoDrive system does not resume manual driving, the AutoDrive system shall steer the vehicle off the highway to a specially designated area.
- IVS signaling shall be so designed that vehicles can be driven safely at speeds of 130 mps. IVS vehicles shall not require additional seat belts to protect the occupants.
- AutoDrive system may report position of a failed vehicle found in its neighborhood.
Radar Scanning Requirements
- The radar shall be able to detect all non-vehicle obstructions that are at least 3 cm in height.
- The radar shall complete a 360 degree scan in less than 500 ms.
- The radar shall be able to detect the obstructions that are within 1 mile distance from the AutoDrive system.
Map Analysis Requirements
- The AutoDrive system should download the map of the complete path from source to destination at journey start.
- Maps used in the AutoDrive system shall contain exact locations of all highway lanes to the accuracy of 1 cm.
- Current location of the vehicle may be displayed on the screen visible to the occupants of the vehicle.
Weather Feed Requirements
- The AutoDrive system shall receive weather updates about the path during the journey.
- The AutoDrive system shall perform appropriate rerouting if extreme weather conditions are encountered.
- The AutoDrive system may advise the occupants of the vehicle about weather conditions on the driving route and destination.
Construction and Road Closure Requirements
- The AutoDrive system shall perform lane changes or rerouting as the case may be due to construction and road closures.
- Closed lanes should be represented by IVS transmitters that specify the exact size of the closure.