Use Cases for HelixStore using Web Services
An introduction to HelixStore threw some light on the various modules and components involved in the functioning of this fully automated e-tailer. Here we shall be covering few important use-cases involving different types of transactions. They are:
- Customer Purchases a Product
- HelixStore Replenishes Inventory
- Adding a New Product to the HelixStore
Customer Purchases a Product
This use case covers the product ordering process. The customer places an order for the product. The HelixStore automatically ships the product to the customer. The customers credit card is also charged.
Product being ordered should have already been defined. The product should be in-stock.
Use Case Body
- Customer decides to buy the product and adds it to the shopping cart.
- HelixStore Server accepts the order and uses the credit card web service to bill the customer.
- HelixStore Server locates the Bin containing the product.
- HelixBin selects one item for shipping to the customer.
- The selected item's magnetic strip is programmed with the shipping address and shipping option.
- HelixBin routes the item to the nearest HelixRouter.
- HelixRouter network routes the product to final network connected to the courier's conveyor belt.
- The courier accepts the package and issues an invoice to the HelixStore Server.
- HelixStore marks the transaction as completed and sends an email to the customer.
- Courier's invoice is fulfilled and a payment is made to the courier for shipping services. A standard payment web service is used.
Customer's order has been fulfilled. The product inventory has been updated to reflect the sale.
HelixStore Replenishes Inventory
When the number of units of a product fall below a certain threshold, an order is placed for more items. HelixStore automatically manages the complete ordering to product delivery process.
The product is already defined. The inventory for the product has fallen below a pre-specified threshold.
Use Case Body
- As a part of processing an order, HelixBin detects that the number of products has fallen below a specific threshold.
- HelixBin informs the HelixStore Server about fall in inventory.
- HelixStore Server invokes the manufacture's ordering service to place an order for required number of items. The order is assigned a unique order number.
- The manufacturer processes the order and ships the products making sure that the magnetic strip on each item is programmed with the order number.
- The order is received by the HelixStore and the products are loaded on the receive conveyor belt.
- The products get routed to the appropriate HelixBin on the basis of the product type.
- HelixBin reports the delivery of each item to the HelixStore Server . The order number is specified on each message.
- HelixStore Server associates the product receipt messages with the order. When the complete order has been received, HelixStore marks the order as completed.
- HelixStore Server pays for the order. A standard payment web service is used.
Ordered products have been obtained and the product vendor has been paid.
Adding a New Product to the HelixStore
The management decides to introduce a new product. This use-case involves the steps involved in configuring the hardware and software for a new product definition.
The management decides to introduce a new product.
Use Case Body
- On the basis of the market survey, the management decides to introduce a new product.
- The decision is taken whether the product is classified as a fast moving product or a slow moving product.
- Based on the above decision, the position of the HelixBin for the product is finalized. This may involve adding new HelixRouters.
- The HelixBin and the HelixRouter if any, are physically connected to the HelixStore network.
- The HelixBin and HelixRouter if any, are added to the software configuration on the the HelixStore Server. The configuration also involves defining the threshold for inventory replenishment.
- Then, the Server sends routing table updates to HelixRouters in the network.
- HelixBin and HelixRouters are brought online.
- Since there is no inventory at the start, HelixBin will inform the Server that the inventory is below threshold.
- First order for the product will be placed and flow as covered in use-case HelixStore replenishes inventory will take place.
The new product has been completely defined and orders have been placed for filling up the inventory.